Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Football Oscars - 2012 Ballon d'Or




Was last night really a surprise for everyone when Lionel Messi nabbed his third Ballon d'Or in a row?

The man is a Messiah. If the football world is a chocolate factory then he is the Willy Wonka. Although everyone was happy for his well-deserved win, a lot of people - including myself - were a tad irked that Xavi Hernandez was still denied of the Golden Ball. And I don't think anyone who thought Xavi should win it are saying that Messi doesn't deserve it, it's just that Xavi also equally deserves it. I mean, Messi is young and I know people tend to forget how young he is because of his mature talent but Xavi is not so young and he could retire soon. I just don't want him to hang up his boots without getting his Golden Ball, you know? 2010 was definitely his year and yet he STILL didn't get it (that was Messi's 2nd win). If Xavi couldn't get it that year - the year where he was part of the historic Spain NT that won the last Euros and World Cup, something Messi has yet to accomplish with his own NT - then I really don't know what else there is left for him to do so he can. This is Leonardo DiCaprio and the Oscars all over again, really. At least he wasn't left out of FIFA's XI of the Year or I'd have to fly to Zurich myself and mess shit up.

My annoyance aside, I am happy for Messi and may God bless his humble soul

And I'm glad that King Pep Guardiola scored the award for Best Coach of the Year! Honestly, it should have been his from last year but it wouldn't be a proper awards event if the winners were screwed up occasionally, right? He even dedicated the award to his homeboy Tito.

he spoke and it was english
and everyone died
I read that the FIFA Presidential Award was given for services to football, so I guess Sir Alex Ferguson deserves that one since he's been in the game for what seems to be decades. Maybe Pep will follow in his red-faced footsteps. I bet the Mancs are just glad that the awkwardness Sepp Blatter brought onto the stage did not ruin Fergie's moment. Although the interaction between those two when Fergie was mumbling some things to Blatter wasn't really a pleasing passing moment either.

And Japan definitely owned the awards last night with Japan's Women NT coach Norio Sasaki and their captain Homare Sawa snagging awards in regards to Women's football. Sawa and some other teammates came to the event dressed in traditional kimonos which I thought were lovely. Workin' it, girlfriends.
Japan also won the Fair Play Award. Congrats, Japan!

Sawa and Messi, the best of both worlds

It was unfortunate though that the Puskas Award for Best Goal of the Year had to go to some little punk, also known as Neymar. Debates state Wayne Rooney should have won it, and even if he didn't it should have gone to Messi's goal instead rather than the little fetus'. Neymar stans, of course, stand by their teen-dad. To be honest I have to side with the people shouting Rooney for this one. You can judge for yourself. I think if this award was rigged we all know who the culprit is.

Congratulations to everyone else who went home with a prize in their hands!

Other highlights that are of ~real~ importance :
Now that that's over, the only thing left to do is judge everyone who is anyone in football on their votes.



x Natasha

No comments:

Post a Comment